On the 23rd of March, 2020, the British government ordered a lockdown of the nation. The goal is to enforce social distancing, self-isolation and quarantine to slow the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus.
This collection of resources was created on the 24th. Links shared here will guide you to resources that might help, people or companies that might need your help, and other relevant utilities.
Every effort has been made to weed out scams, fake news and mistakes, but I am not a medical expert, a financial advisor or logistics expert. Please get in touch if you spot an error, or have a suggestion.
I need help
- Edinburgh Council – Latest coronavirus service updates
- NHS Inform Scotland – Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Edinburgh Council – Waste and recycling services during coronavirus
- Trading Standards Scotland – Coronavirus (COVID-19) scams
- Corstorphine Corona Help and Info
- Ready Scotland – Where to find additional support
- Ideal Electrical Solutions – Emergency electrical issues
I need money
- Ziffit will send DPD to your door to buy 5KG or more of your clutter (books, DVDs, electronics, old phones). Payment takes a few days.
- Music Magpie will also send contact-free couriers to your door (depending on what you have to sell). Payment also takes a few days.
I need food
- Scran Academy are currently providing hot food to those in need
- Food Sharing Edinburgh Public Group – a Facebook Group
- Capital Wholesales – now delivering to the public, not just restaurants
- Charles Stamper Fruit & Veg have a delivery service
- Edinburgh Food Delivery delivers Monday to Friday
- Doorstep Market delivers with volunteers for free (Update 24/3/2020 – Emergencies only)
- Drinkly are adding groceries when and where they can
- Food 4 Leith – help with food in Leith during the crisis
- Oakhouse Foods – Frozen ready meals (Update 24/3/2020 – new customers have to wait for assignment)
- Knockout Meals – free for NHS, key workers, elderly and ill people
- Spry Wines – delivering wine and deli food to EH postcodes
- Stockbridge businesses – a large list of Stockbridge businesses trying to stay open
- Allan’s Bakery are offering next morning deliveries of baked goods.
- Welch Fishmongers are also offering deliveries.
- The Edinburgh Farmers Market has a long list of suppliers that are offering deliveries.
- Granton Garden Bakery can sell to you through their window or, if strictly necessary, talk to you about delivery.
I need somewhere to live
- Edinburgh Coronavirus crisis accommodation – a Facebook Group
- Places To Go – Streetwork
- Coronavirus advice and planning for people experiencing homelessness – Groundswell
- Help against eviction, benefits and landlords – Shelter Scotland
I need to pay my electricity/gas meter
- Coronavirus help for Scottish Power customers
- Help for British Gas customers
- Questions answered for SSE customers
- Helping prepayment EDF Energy meter customers
- Update on coronavirus for E.on customers
I need help with my pet
- Free online & video consultations from First Vet UK
Things to do while stuck at home
- [email protected] – creative things for older people to do at home
- Resources for homeschooling – a list by Severin Bruhat
What are my rights?
- Coronavirus Financial Help & Rights – MoneySavingExpert
I can help
Some of these links may also take you to places where you can find help.
- Give blood – Scottish blood donations
- Edinburgh Community Volunteering – locals organised by locals
- Thistle (charity) are looking for drivers so that staff can visit people with disabilities
- Join the Red Cross Reserves
- LOVE Gorgie Farm needs volunteers
- Loan your car parking space to an NHS worker – Just Park
- Coronavirus Third Sector Information Hub – SCVO
- Volunteering opportunities – Trussel Trust
- Join the National Care Force
- Covid-19 Mutal Aid UK
- Volunteer Edinburgh – Facebook Group
- Coronavirus Volunteering Edinburgh – Accessibility and disability – Facebook Group
Helpful local groups
- Edinburgh local group locator – A Facebook Group
- Parkhead / Sighthill isolation support group – A Facebook Group
- Tollcross Community Action Network – Facebook Group
Photo Credit: Marek Szturc.